Northwest Nurse Practitioner Associates (NNPA) is a Certified YELLOW FEVER center and also holds a Certificate in Travel Health through the International Society of Travel Medicine. This certificate recognizes individual excellence in the knowledge of travel medicine. Very few medical providers that offer travel vaccines are certified and even fewer have ever seen these diseases but we have!
A Pre-Travel Consultation consists of:
- A review of your itinerary (including in some cases flight paths that might change the need for required vaccines to enter countries), length of trip which impacts recommendations, type of travel – work, adventure, climbing a mountain or diving, etc.
- Medical History to make sure you can receive vaccines if needed or to base prescriptions around.
- Required versus recommended vaccines and chance of acquiring disease.
- Malaria prescription if needed – choice based on type of strain of malaria in country, cost, and side effects.
- Traveler’s Diarrhea prevention and a prescription for treatment if needed.
- Precautions will be reviewed for: Food and Water safety, DEET/repellants, blood clot prevention, disease risks and treatment, altitude illness, water disinfection, and how to pack a medical travel kit.
- Utilizing our Functional Medicine knowledge, we will recommend supplements to protect your gut biome and strengthen your immune system during travel depending on trip itinerary and length of travel.
- Other prescriptions may be recommended based on your trip itinerary for prevention/treatment of: altitude illness, anaphylactic/allergic reactions, candidiasis (yeast). However, if you are on routine medications or prefer to travel with certain types of medications that are not considered travel related, such as anti-anxiety medications, your Primary Care provider will need to continue to prescribe these for you.
There is one consultation charge that covers the consultation visit fee and writing the prescriptions needed to cover your trip. All vaccines are priced separately in addition to the consultation. We do not charge an “administrative fee” for each vaccine. In most cases Vaccines will be administered on the same day as the consultation unless your health status prohibits the administration, or it is not in stock.
Payment for the consultations visit is charged at the time the appointment is made. Vaccines are priced separately and are expected to be paid in full on the day of service. We will give you an itemized bill to submit if you have insurance but be advised that we would not know if your particular insurance will cover any part of the visit or vaccines. It is best to schedule your consultation 4 weeks ahead of your trip if possible as it will allow you more choice in types of vaccine and the time to reach full immunity before a trip.
You must register in our Portal and complete the questionnaires needed prior to your appointment. If you have a vaccine record please upload the document for NNPA to review. If you are ready for our care, then please contact the Administrative team either through the patient Portal, phone or the Contact Us page to agree to the Consultation fee. We will not charge you or confirm an appointment until you have agreed to the fee, and reviewed everything needed for your appointment.
We look forward to your visit and keeping you safe and healthy on your trip!